Vibrations - the Beach Boys wrote about this sensation two years after I was born – a long time ago. And while the concept of energy has been around forever, recently there seems to be a surge of interest in our energetic vibration. Some people vibrate at a very high level, while others not so much. And our vibrational level varies based on our thoughts, decisions, and perspectives. It also depends on where we are on our individual paths that each of us travels.
The energetic field we emit affects those around us as well as ourselves. The other day my husband and I were walking our dogs and we passed a woman whose vibrational field was off the charts. While she may not have been typed as classically beautiful, she looked absolutely stunning to us as her smile radiated joy, exquisiteness, and love. Immediately we both picked up on it. Just by saying hello to this stranger our moods lifted. I believe that we absorbed a bit of her positive energy.
But I’ve also caught myself taking in negative energy following a conversation with someone who’s at the bottom of the vibrational scale. Perhaps you can relate. No matter how you try to counter their “woes,” their response is always negative. It’s as if they are stuck in a life of a “glass half empty” and cannot see another perspective. To be honest, these relationships can become exhausting, sometimes to the point where you try to avoid interaction at all cost.
We love being around people who vibrate at a high frequency. When we’re in their presence our mood lifts, life is more fun, and we are more at peace. Interacting with others who vibrate at an upper level can often be inspiring. We might find that we’re more energized to attempt something that we didn’t think possible before. This is caused by their energy. We absorb the vibes of those around us.
And then there is the opposite - those individuals whose vibrational level is so low that they have an adverse influence on how we feel when we are with them. Maybe we can sense it just by being in their presence. In fact, sometimes we can feel it remotely – like when we’re talking with them on the phone. After such an encounter we may appear negative, sad, or just “not ourselves.” It’s their lower energy field that we perceive, bringing us down. And if we’re not aware of it or prepared to shield ourselves from this low vibration, it can impact us as well.
Think of whom you’re naturally attracted to – the people you love being around. They most likely are the high vibrators in your life. Then consider those individuals who may be relatives, close friends, or co-workers that can be downright depressing. If you’re like me you might even dread being around them, not because you don’t like or love these people, but rather you don’t like how you feel when you are in their presence.
I certainly won’t claim to know a lot about vibration and energetic fields, but I whole-heartedly believe in the huge importance of energy, how it flows (or at times is blocked from flowing) throughout our bodies and its impact on us as well as those around us. When our energy is not moving properly, not only can it affect us emotionally, but after a while, it can also take a physical toll on our body, manifesting in pain or even disease (dis-ease). That’s why it’s critical to do whatever we can to help our energy flow at its highest possible frequency.
Of course we will encounter life experiences when our vibrational level dips. We could suffer the death of a loved one, an illness, or perhaps a struggle within our career. When events like these occur it is natural to have a lower frequency. However, if the level that we start at is on the higher end, then our lower vibrational periods won’t be so low – make sense? So how do we raise our vibration? What can we do to live in a state of higher frequency?
There are multiple techniques to increase our energetic level, and each of us will gravitate toward different strategies. Below are ways that help me, especially when I am feeling like I’m at the lower end of the scale:
1. Exercise – Walk, run, lift weights, do whatever works for you, just move.
2. Yoga – There are many different types of yoga (from sweating buckets to lying on blankets). If you haven’t tried it, consider taking a class. It’s been a game changer for me.
3. Be in nature – Energy is abundant in the outdoors. Sometimes all I need is to go to the nearby park and I instantly feel a boost.
4. Meditate – I struggle to meditate, but if I can get myself into a regular practice, I notice huge benefits.
5. Energy work – Often we are vibrating at a lower level because we have blocked chakras. Reiki and other forms of energy healing can hugely benefit opening up these blockages, allowing us to vibrate at a higher level. Working with an energy healer has had a tremendous impact on my life.
6. Sleep – Ever notice how amazing you feel after an awesome night’s sleep? When we deprive ourselves from our rest, our vibration can drop. So turn off that alarm and get some more shuteye.
7. Quality food – Food is another source of energy, and what we consume ultimately feeds our energetic bodies. Try to avoid preservatives and processed sugar. You may notice that your vibration can improve just by altering your diet.
8. Be creative – Utilizing your creative juices often sparks an increase in energy. Give yourself time to expressive yourself. Paint, cook, garden… the list is endless.
9. Experiment with gemstones and crystals – These rocks contain energy and can alter your mood. Go online and explore the various benefits to wearing different stones to meet your needs. Or add gemstones to various locations in your home to boost the energetic fields.
10. Essential oils – Similar to gemstones, essential oils have wonderful healing properties. Either use through a diffuser, or, if appropriate, use topically. (Certain essential oils should not be ingested or used directly on the skin – do your research, and if in doubt, best to utilize a diffuser.)
11. Music – Listen to your favorite music. (I prefer seventies soul music – Earth, Wind, and Fire; Stevie Wonder, Bill Withers, Aretha Franklin – these artists instantly increase my vibration!) And if you want an added boost, sing along – loudly!
Still, one of the most efficient ways to raise your own vibration is to spend time with people (or pets) who are vibrating at high levels. That’s the beauty about energy – it’s contagious! I just had lunch with a dear friend whose energy is absolutely beautiful. She is the kindest of souls with an outrageous sense of humor. And, when we’re together, we’re like two kids… bubbling with energy, excited to share the latest thing that we’ve learned. When I left I felt lifted, charged, alive. I was vibrating at a higher level, and I loved it!
While life cannot be only good vibrations, we can consciously choose to lift ourselves, even when we’re experiencing heartache or when we are around others that bring us down. And in the process of increasing our energetic level, we might also be raising the vibration of those around us, so those difficult relationships may become somewhat easier. This week take some time and notice where you’re vibrating. Then try one of the above strategies and see if you observe a difference. Maybe you'll even hear yourself singing with the Beach Boys…
“I'm pickin' up good vibrations She's giving me excitations (oom bop bop) I'm pickin' up good vibrations (good vibrations, oom bop bop) She's giving me excitations (excitations, oom bop bop) Good, good, good, good vibrations (oom bop bop) She's giving me excitations (excitations, oom bop bop) Good, good, good, good vibrations (oom bop bop) She's giving me excitations (excitations)”